SubSource Substitute Position
“A teacher affects eternity; they can never tell where their influence stops.” -Henry Adams
Change the future! Substituting is your opportunity to secure a flexible, rewarding career. Substitute teachers and support staff have the unique ability to make their own schedule, while supporting their community and making a difference in the lives of children.
If you are looking for a career with purpose, supported by a team of truly compassionate people, look no further! ESI partners with school districts throughout Arizona and likely one near you.
Visit our website to see all the districts we partner with for substitute services. Note: If you are interested in any districts within Yavapai County, you should select "Yavapai County Substitute Consolidation".
What you need:
- Valid Arizona IVP fingerprint clearance card* (Required for ALL substitute positions with ESI)
- Valid Arizona Teacher Certificate or Arizona Substitute Certificate (certified substitute positions only)*
- Proof of immunity to rubeola (measles) and rubella (German measles), or proof of MMR immunization (if born in 1957 or later, or may waive)
- Pass a Mandatory Criminal Background Check
*We welcome you to apply for this position if you have already begun the process of obtaining your IVP fingerprint card and/or certificate. If you need assistance with this process, please contact us.
Important: When applying, please enter your legal first and last name as they appear on your ID to prevent any unnecessary delays.
What types of positions are there (position availability varies by district):
- Certified substitute teacher positions require a valid Arizona Substitute or Arizona Teacher certificate
- Classified substitute positions do not require a certificate and are usually non-instructional support positions (examples: paraprofessional, instructional aide, office staff, custodian, food service worker)
- Nurse substitute positions generally require RN license (may vary by district)
- Health aide substitute positions generally require first aid and CPR (may vary by district)
What you will do as a certified substitute:
- Manage student learning, in the absence of the regular teacher
- Maintain a positive learning environment for all students; a professional relationship with all staff in accordance with district & ESI policy
- Ensure adequate supervision to assure health, welfare, and safety of all students
- Implement lesson plans, while ensuring the integrity of academic time and in manner which motivates students to learn and participate
What you will do as a classified substitute:
- Paraprofessional subs (or paraeducators) work 1:1 with students or in small groups, oftentimes with special education students, under the guidance of a classroom teacher
- Instructional aide subs provide general support and assistance to a classroom teacher
- Office staff subs provide clerical assistance in the school or district office, not in the classroom
- Custodian subs assist in cleaning and maintaining the school grounds
- Food service subs assist in preparing and serving meals, cashiering, and cleaning food prep/eating areas
What you get:
- Competitive daily or hourly rates that vary by district and position type
- Paid Sick Time (PST), earn 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, up to 40 hours PST per school year
- Medical benefits available to substitutes that qualify
- Friendly, knowledgeable help from ESI available via phone, email, or text
Contact us with questions
Phone: (480) 719-3271
Email: [email protected]
NOTE: Provide your personal email address in the application as this is how ESI will primarily communicate with you throughout the hiring process. Periodically check your spam/junk folder as these emails can sometimes get mis-categorized by your email service.
Educational Services LLC. (ESI) is the leading provider of employee staffing solutions for Arizona school districts. Founded in 1999 by three educators, ESI has a passion for helping people and making a positive impact in education.
ESI’s featured programs include Arizona’s premier return-to-work program known as RetireRehire, and its SubSource program, the largest substitute staffing program in the state.
Districts develop partnerships with ESI to provide personalized support for educators returning to work after retirement and resources including benefits and professional development for substitute teachers.